Tuesday, December 16, 2008

GREN Rejections!

Well, I've only submitted to three agencies for GREN, so it's not too exciting (one of which I'd queried before...is that bad? It's a different story...). I did these around May, I believe.
Here they are:


Thank you so much for sending the ___ Agency your query.

We’d like to apologize for the impersonal nature of this standard rejection letter. Rest assured that we do read every query letter carefully and, unfortunately, this project is not right for us.

Because this business is so subjective and opinions vary widely, we recommend that you pursue other agents. After all, it just takes one "yes" to find the right match.

Good luck with all your publishing endeavors.
-----

Dear Author:

Thanks for your query. I apologize for this form response, but the volume of mail I receive makes it impossible to send individual replies in every case.

As to your material, I am afraid I must pass. I represent a very full list of fiction writers, and must be highly selective in adding to it. I realize that it is difficult to judge your potential from a query alone; nevertheless, please know that we give serious attention to every letter, outline and writing sample that we receive.

Thank you for contacting me, I wish you the very best of luck in your search for representation.
------

Thank you for sharing your work with us. Unfortunately, it is not a good match for ___ and we will not be able to offer you representation.

I hope you excuse this form letter, but it is really only representative of our lack of time and not a lack of respect for your work. Please understand that there are many reasons why we must turn down potential clients. We look for material that immediately grabs our attentions and emotions, and that we believe will do well in the current publishing and bookselling market. But sometimes we even pass on well written, marketable projects simply because it is out of our realm of expertise and would be better represented by another agent with different taste or experience.

Thank you again for sharing your submission with us and we wish you the best of luck in your search for the right agent.

Sincerely,


So that's what you get when you send your heart out on paper. I much prefer the little one lined responses (like I got in some TOS rejections) because I feel like it's the agent actually writing back to me and apologizing instead of getting some page long e-mail about the book world.

There are more querying adventures to come!

1 comment:

Spotted Sparrow said...

At least most of them have the decency to apologize for the form letter. Although, when all of them have the same apology, it kind of loses its sincerity.

Keep plugging away! I've read the books and know they are good. Someone else is bound to think the same.