Tuesday, December 16, 2008

TOS Rejections!

So today I decided to rummage through my painful e-mail saved stack of TOS rejections. I wanted to share them with you so my pain is your pain. Okay, it stops being painful after the first few (unless it's an agent you really had your hopes set high for). I am just putting what the agents sent me, removing all names of the agents/agencies because I respect them and completely understand. Some have been shortened down...they're mainly the basic templates sent to authors and they're really long and explain the woes of the industry...

Here it goes:


This project is not for me, but I wish you the best with it


---------


At present, we are regretfully going to pass by the opportunity to consider your work for representation. The query letter has to strike a chord which leads us to believe that we will not only resonate deeply with the material but also will be successful in selling it in the current market conditions. Out of necessity, we are frequently forced to pass by material which shows potential. We recognize that in doing so we miss opportunities to represent fine and worthwhile material, but we also trust that if you persist you will eventually connect with the right agent at the right time for your success.


-------


Thank you for your recent query. Although your project sounds interesting, we unfortunately do not feel it is right for us at this time. We encourage you to query other agencies, and we wish you all the best in finding other representation. Thank you again for thinking of The Knight Agency.

**Woohoo! Someone actually said it sounded interesting!

------

Thanks for writing, but this isn't for me.

------

Thank you for sharing your work with me. I know that writing a book is a time-consuming and emotional process, so I appreciate the effort you have expended to reach this point in your publishing journey. Alas, I must reject what you have been kind enough to submit.

------

I'm sorry, but I am probably not the right agent for this work. I
wish you the best of luck with the project.


------


Dear Author:

Thank you so much for sending the ___ your query.

We’d like to apologize for the impersonal nature of this standard rejection letter. Rest assured that we do read every query letter carefully and, unfortunately, this project is not right for us.

Because this business is so subjective and opinions vary widely, we recommend that you pursue other agents. After all, it just takes one "yes" to find the right match.

Good luck with all your publishing endeavors.

Sincerely,


____

So that's what I have! I do have a few more TOS queries, but they were sent through the mail and I can't find where I've stashed the papers. I'll post them once I find them.

These posts may not be too interesting yet but I think they will once you're with me and together we send them out and wait for responses.

No comments: